Single Site Call Processing Model (Single Cluster)
- All devices in a single, campus network
- All incoming/outgoing calls go the PSTN
- Use G.711 Uncompressed Audio Codecs
- Simplest model to deploy
Central Call Processing Model (Single Cluster)
- Remote phones supported by single cluster
- PSTN and WAN connection at each site
- G.72 Compressed CODEC between sites
- SRST on remote routers
Distributed Call Processing Model (Multiple Clusters)
- WAN Primary Path for intersite calls
- G.729 codec over WAN
- Independant WAN bandwidth control (H.323 gatekeeper or SIP Proxy)
- The future of networks
Clustering over the WAN
- Single point of administration
- Database replicated
- Features, shared lines over WAN
- Higher requirements
- Round Trip Delay: 40ms
- Bandwidth: 900Kbps per 10,000 BHCA
1. Run-time data (Intra-cluster communication signal)
- Actively running between CUCM servers in cluster
- Example: phone registration
- Example: CUCM failure results in phone relocation
2. Database Data (IDS DB Replication)
- CUCM Database information replicated between servers
- Example: phone extension mapping
- Example: dial-plan changes
- Skinny (SCCP) (Signaling)
- SIP (Signaling)
- RTP (Audio)
Phones sends off hook status to CUCM.
All actions for the handset are actioned by the CUCM brain.
Call setup via CUCM and audio stream directly between the 2 phones via RTP. (CODECs to follow)
SCCP does digit by digit processing.
SIP almost sends a micro version of the dial plan to the phone!
The mind or brain of the voice network.
- Call Processing
- Signalling and device control
- Dial Plan Administration
- Directory Services
- Link to external applications (Active Directory)
Versions: 2.x/3.x/4.x – Windows 5.x and beyond are Linux based.
- MCS Servers
- Equivalent IBM/HP Server
- VMWare Virtualisation
Intro to CIPT1
Nuggets are shorter. 5-30 mins maximum and broken up into smaller parts.
Build a lab..
CUCM in VMWare Workstation
Get some cheap IP phones – 7940 or 7960 and also analog
Cheap voice router – 2610,2611,2620,2621xm,2801,1750 etc..
Fall in love